Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Little Prince : An adorable book of all times


The Little Prince written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry is one of my all time favourite.  I read this book quite a long ago. A few days back my eyes fell on this book while browsing through my bookshelf. So thought of sharing my thoughts on this best selling book which was first published in 1943.  


Apparently, the whole story seems juvenile but at the same time it seeks to insinuate the finer aspects of human emotions that have got trapped in the vicious circle of mundane life. I felt as if the little prince represents the innate self of human being which always hankers to enjoy the puerile smell of childhood days long lost in the drudgery of life. The more we try to kill the child within us, the more we will be susceptible to a dilapidated condition.

The story is allegorical. Simple imagery but highly thought provoking. As adults we always learn to value things in respect of its utility. Since grown ups do not value imagination they try to curb it from the child. For e.g. the diagrams of boa constrictors support the view. Because of the materialistic nature of adults the dream of the writer to become an artist was nipped in the bud. Another illustration of the Turkish astronomer pinpoints the fact that we judge people by looks and not by deeds. Our methodical nature is obstructing us from enjoying the elixir of life. Nature is beauty incarnate but enjoying its serenity seems to be frivolous entertainment. But for the little prince nothing can be more soothing and enjoyable than watching as many as sunsets. Our constant negligence of relieving our tension will soon turn into “baobabs” and lead to an intolerable heaviness.

The conversation of the prince with his flower is so enchanting. It was like a newly blossomed love where the prince could decipher no clue to what his flower was demanding. The rose behaved like a pretty damsel trying to teach the naïve prince certain aspects of her life. Later it is seen how the prince felt his affection for her. The anguish of her absence became a constant presence for him.
The journey of the prince in the galaxies and his confrontation with different people actually illuminates various faces of human character. The dogmatic king, conceited admirer, drunkard, businessman, lamplighter, geographer, everyone had a message to give. But I liked the paragraph where the king was asking the prince to judge himself. Indeed judging oneself is the most difficult job. Then the drunkard who is drinking because he is ashamed of drinking. It all seems to be in line with human tragedy.

An illustration of Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry 
I have never before read such a fairy-tale like description of planet Earth. I wish if I could be the lamplighter of north or South Pole….I would have so much of leisure for loitering around. In the desert the flower’s view on caravans is indicative. If we dnt remain grounded or rooted, a gust of wind is sufficient to shake our existence. The imagery of echo and signalman portrays the picture of the restless people who have no time to listen to their own heart. They are rushing to and fro like ships without any rudder. When the writer was thirsty, their long travel to find a well establish the saying, “believe what you set your heart upon for it surely shall be yours”..
The discussion of the fox is another eye opener. “ what is essential is invisible to the eye”.. is a quotable quote.. its so true..we view things through coloured glass and hence we fail to see the real elegance or importance of  circumstances. End result being, our woes are amplified day by day.
“for what u’ve tamed, you become responsible for ever”...

It seems the little prince came to revive the jovial nature of the writer. He inculcated in him certain thoughts that will help in elevating the spirit and adorn his life as never before. He came, did his job and then he left. At this point the words of the snake during their first meeting is so vital..”whomever I touch I send back to the earth from which they came.” As the story moves, the reader’s love for the prince is sure to magnify in leaps and bounds. I felt a choking feeling when he died. During the last part of the story, I felt as if the little prince was the mouth-piece of god. Due to over practicality, people become insentient and often avaricious. The prince as if came to revive the human soul and that’s why he said the shell is not important. The sudden revelations in the story came like a boon. I remembered a saying “ he that sent me here is with me—the Father hath not left me alone”..I still think there is so much to derive from this book which may be obtained by reading it  recurrently.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe this! Such a wonderful review of one of the most beautiful books ever written and not a single comment?? I completely share your love for the book. I have a very beaten up old copy of the book which I had bought in a second-hand store long ago. I have read it many times and found it refreshing every time. And my favourite illustration is the boa constrictor one. That speaks of creativity and imagination -- two thigns we could all do in life with.

    do read the review of my favourite book at http://cybernag.in/2011/01/an-all-time-favourite/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Zephyr..Thank u so much! In tune with the meaning of your name, u have really permeated a gentle and pleasing wind of happiness and encouragement for me. :)I have gone through your admirable review of 'The Outsiders'. I have not yet read the book. But i'm looking forward to grab and read the book sooner.:)

    ReplyDelete