Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Letter to an old buddy


Dear Tiffin Box,


Please do not be angry for ignoring you for many years. Few days back I saw you lying in the kitchen rack, still sparkling as before. Past memories flashed by. Our association started when I shifted to new school in KG class.  I disliked you because you had a steel body devoid of any colors. You were spacious. So the chance of accomodating more food was high! As a kid I never liked having tiffin. Tiffin time was terror time. Our aunty used to check individual tiffin boxes everyday. And I was always asked to stand outside the classroom to finish my tiffin. You know, how I resorted to tricks. Like hiding grapes beneath banana peals, or hurling them slowly into the nearby dustbin or throwing food out of the window like an imp. I know this can not be a justification to hate you. But let me tell you, I used to like the figure of the swan that is embedded on your cover. I still love it. I used to trace the shape on a paper. It was fascinating to see the image gradually appearing on the sheet. But soon I got bored. I wished for a new one.  Now for a vibrant double container one. After few days, it became cumbersome for me to carry it. You resumed your place in my school bag. I do not remember when I abandoned you again by opting for a new one. This time for a long span.

So many years have passed. I never considered of carrying you in the rest of my school days, college or university days. Now I have plunged into professional life. Things become different with age and maturity. One understands the actual value of things which we often take for granted. I do not create ruckus about eating tiffin now. Infact I diligently carry my lunch box. I love eating grapes too!
The moment I gazed at you, I realised that you are one of the few possessions associated with my childhood days. You too have an important place in my life. You bear the puerile essence of those by-gone days. Yesterday, I took you with me in my office. I hope you liked my desk,though it is more business like. It's different from the desk provided in school. It was wonderful sharing food with an old buddy. You must have noticed the childish glee in my eyes when I was poking you with my spoon.

I have decided not to abandon you again. You still accommodate enough food for my appetite. J

With love..
Yours pal.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm.. reading this brought back many memories. The tiffin box that one carries to school vary from people to people, but the purpose is the same. One always need its tiffin now more than in the school days. One cannot afford to go out all the time and eat outside, plus there is always the question of hygiene. Tiffin has always been a part of one's life since time immemorial. It has never abandoned us but we may have abandoned it for our convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U r absolutely right Jenny. We can never trust the hygiene quotient of outside food. To maintain a healthy lifestyle it is of utmost importance that we carry our own tiffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good one !! as expected from you!takes us down the memory lane. even i had this sort of habits in my childhood days.But now i miss it!! as theres no difference between tiffin and outside food!!. anyways but, thanks for such a sweet post.atleast itw ould compell others to think about lost childhood !! keep it up. want some more good writings buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kunal..thanks a ton!I understand your feelings related to home cooked food.

    ReplyDelete