Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Missed call

Everyone possessing a mobile phone, at some point in their lifetime, must have received or are still receiving “missed call” messages flashing on their mobile screen. In response to these guest calls, I decide my course of action. Sometimes I revert back after weighing my balance or when I’m in an extravagant mood or after sensing urgency or to show courtesy and at other times I simply prefer to wait for another call from these missed calls.
I got my first cell in 2003. At that time giving missed call was a craze as call rates and sms-es were not so cheap. It was a way of showing friends that at this particular point of time (whether at 2 in the morning or during 2 minutes break while preparing for exam), I’m remembering you. If one did not answer back with another missed call, it used to annoy the call expectant a lot. Silly ego problems, foolish quarrels encompassing these missed calls were not uncommon.
The custom has not become extinct but its meaning has metamorphosed from a finer aspect to a rather practical and straight forward one. Now when I get a missed call (when I’m holding my cell and witnessing an ephemeral incident of call coming and vanishing with my own eyes. I will write later why I’m explaining this), it conveys a sweet message “I do not have balance, call me!”
The meaning of the phrase “missed call” is quite misleading. I guess it was programmed to specify calls which are not received by the recipient. But in regular usage, the meaning has changed to indicate those calls which are basically one or two rings and are not supposedly actual calls.
One real life e.g. will illustrate this confusion. I was unable to receive one call from a job applicant. His number with name flashed on my cell. Knowing the urgency I called him back. I started the conversation, “Yes Mr X…..I saw one missed call from your no..”
Mr X, “Madam, I did not give missed call. I called you.”
I said, “Yes, I understand you called me. My cell showed one missed call from your no.”
Mr X, “But I called you” (in desperation).
I said, “Yes, you called but I (putting more emphasis) missed to receive it.”
Now he understood. Many times I have faced this with my friends. If we pause to think it is funny actually. Any mobile phone programmer reading this? Can you please change the phrase “missed call”? Because we people love the misrepresented version and surely will continue using it..


































2 comments:

  1. I do understand the same feeling which you have expressed. We now can say "Those were the times."
    After living in the 19th and 20th century one can experience a vast difference in the cartoon telecasts. Times have changed for the newer generations as well as for the older ones.
    Even though in our times cartoons were in lesser number but we still did enjoy it. We would wait for "The" time of the week to watch it but now one can watch cartoon at any time of the day. They have it so easy.
    Nowadays the graphic of the cartoon have changed and it has become more appealing to watch because of the technology they use.
    It seems that the carttons which we used to watch are not known by the younger generations. It has sort of become obsolete. Those cartoons are only remembered by our generation only.
    I feel that it's a sad thing that the channels do not broadcast those cartoons anymore. It would be walk down the memory lane if they did broadcast those animations.
    It was fun remembering the old times.
    The next topic which you can write about is TV vs. laptop. What say? Will await your next issue....
    J.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I will try to post as per your wish. :)

    ReplyDelete