Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Embracing the delight of cartoon shows

I’m still a die hard fan of cartoons, the list includes Tom & Jerry, Shinchan, Doraemon, Kitretsu, Perman and so on…This is a kind of hobby I like to ride with enormous joy. On Sunday morning repeat telecast of Shinchan and Doraemon are aired. So my weekly off day is spent watching the shows for more than 1 hour. Even my childhood days were spent joyously watching a bunch of cartoons. It included Meena, Mickey Mouse and Friends, Duck Tales, Jungle book, Dennis the Menace, Pingu, Alice in Wonderland, Bible ki kahaniyan, He-Man.... there must be more names I’m unable to recall. I cherished them all but Meena, conceived and produced by UNICEF, had a special place. Even now I often switch to Doordarshan in anticipation to see if they are telecasting the show.

Now-a-days, quite a no of channels are there who telecast cartoons 24 hrs. Previously the situation was not so. One had to wait patiently till the hands of clock perched on the perfect time and then it was rush hour. Destination - the beloved TV.


When I was a kid my father used to bring me video cassettes of cartoons mostly Looney Tunes. It was a motivation tool shown to me the same way as ‘carrots’ are dangled in front of employees. My parents tried so hard to motivate me to eat relatively faster because I used to take 1 hour to chew my food. But there is one difference. Employees get ‘carrot’ after good performance. I used to get my ‘carrot’ while performing the art of never-ending eating. :)

Sometimes I ponder over my liking for cartoons. Why do I like them so much? Is it the caricatures, vibrant colors that amuse me or I like that all beings are immortal here in this world or there is always a happy ending or feel spellbound to see weird gadgets solving all seemingly mundane yet complicated problems in Nobita’s life? My analysis failed to suggest any answer. Once I read in an article, children who watch cartoons regularly are unable to relate to reality. May be as an adult I want to cast my eyes off the real world for a while and take pleasure in the ephemeral delight of another world. As long as I’m rooted to reality, I guess a little dose of indulgence is acceptable. :)

    Meena Video Clip

No comments:

Post a Comment